Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Cafes @ Tiong Bahru

1) The Orange Thimble

Pic Credits: Trip Advisor (link)


Today, my friend Sam and I had lunch at The Orange Thimble, a place my Photojournalism teacher brought the class to on one of our assignments.

We both ordered the Cream of Mushroom Soup Lunch Set but chose different side dishes - Pasta for him and Baguette for me.


Cream of Mushroom Soup with Baguette ($7.90)


2) Tiong Bahru Bakery

Pic Credit: G Nine Three (link)


After lunch, we went to the nearby Tiong Bahru Bakery - Sam ordered a handmade orange juice while I ordered a Pineapple & Coconut Tart.

Orange Juice ($5.50) and Pineapple & Coconut Tart ($6.50)


I can't comment on the orange juice since I didn't try it. As for the tart, I think it's definitely one-of-a-kind - it's not every day you see a donut-shaped tart topped with white chocolate, no? Before going into the taste, one thing I'd like to comment on is the ease of cutting the tart (and the chocolate). In many places, the tart/chocolate is often too hard/soft, which results in the pastry getting destroyed in some form or another - not for this tart though - it was as the fairytale Goldilocks would put it - "just right".

As for the taste, I enjoyed most of the tart - a tasteful blend of the two tropical fruits complemented by the perfect biscuit, which was slightly on the sweet side. On the down side however, I do feel that the white chocolate wast too sweet for my liking.

Close-up shot of the Pineapple & Coconut Tart


3) Plain Vanilla Bakery

Pic Credits: Pinky Piggu (link)





13.11.2014 // Came here with Greg and Terina and we tried the Lemon Creme Tart, which although delicious, was too sweet for my liking - I also found the generous amount of creme an overkill - it would probably have been better if the tart was slightly smaller

Summer Fruits Tea ($5)


26.02.2015 // Tried the Summer Fruits Iced Tea and found it to be rather bland (but perhaps that is just how most teas are) - the taste became a little more pronounced after "squashing" one of my berries using a straw, but that brought on a whole new disaster - seeds floating within the drink LOL



No comments:

Post a Comment